GL FAQs & Tips
Tracking COVID-19 Costs for UC Davis Medical Center
COVID-19 will have financial implications for UC Davis Medical Center and we will want to track direct and incremental costs for the organization. The situation for UC Davis Health continues to develop, therefore, these guidelines will be updated and expanded as the response to COVID-19 continues to evolve. Objective: to meet financial reporting requirements related to California Department of Finance, FEMA, 1135 Waiver, CAPH, UCOP and Executive Leadership.
Please see the guidelines here and the instructions on processing Direct Retro cost transfers here. (Note that the guide has revision marks visible to provide visibility into what has changed since initial release.)
Direct Retros (Salary Cost Transfers)
In the New Data section, change all distribution rows to the Department FAU(s) and select "Apply WS" in the dropdown for each row. When the Direct Retro is processed, the Work Study split will be calculated. For more on processing transfers for Work-Study, see the eLearning & Job Aids section of this web page.
If multiple paychecks (pay periods) are selected when performing a Direct Retro, you must make changes for each paycheck. To view all paychecks, click the 'View All' link at the top right of the Check Earnings section.
In addition, some Direct Retro (Salary Cost Transfer) IDs were not appearing in the ledgers, instead the document field contained a value starting with “PT.” This issue was fixed by the UCPath Center on 9/2/2020. Cognos reports will update the document column to display the “DR” number, including history. FIS DS will not correct the document column in history.
When UCPath was implemented the RPNI (recorded in Object 8690) was posted in a separate ledger entry after the Direct Retro ledger posting. The UCPath Center has implemented a change whereby the RPNI assessment will be moved with the Direct Retro. It will no longer be a separate ledger entry.
When UCPath was implemented, the assessment rate (e.g. CBR, VLA, GAEL) was based on the HR Department of the Position. The UCPath Center has implemented a change whereby the assessments will be based on the Chart for each distribution.
Before: A UC Davis employee with Chart L – ANR funding was assessed at the UC Davis rates.
Note that when performing Direct Retro (Salary Cost Transfers) will be impacted by these changes
|Effective Dates and Sequence numbers control which entry will be in effect. If you need to enter Funding that falls into a period of time between two existing Funding Entries, be sure to click the + sign that falls between the two entries, not at the top of the page. If there is an incorrect entry, you can enter a second Funding Entry record with the same Effective dates and it will have a higher Sequence number. Whichever entry for a given date that has the highest sequence number is the one that will be used for funding distributions.|
Object Code Derivation
UCPath will derive the Object Code for funding distributions based on the rules described in this Job Aid. When a user enters funding distributions in UCPath Funding Entry, the Object Code is not displayed on screen. The Object Code will be derived when pay is processed and appear on ledgers. For more information on the use of Object Codes, go to the Accounting & Financial Reporting website.
Archive | Fiscal Year End 2020 Processes
Historical Reference: Fiscal Year End 2020 Processes
Date Originally Posted: June, 2020
As we approach fiscal year end, we’ve compiled a list of considerations for UCPath processes. To see all Fiscal Year End reference documents and notifications, please visit this Box Folder. (Note: Access is permitted only to those with UC Davis system access.)
The Finance & Business Fiscal Close website remains the primary source of fiscal close information.
UCPath Funding Rollover
UCPath records funding by fiscal year. This requires a process to roll funding over into the new fiscal year. Learn more about this process in this guide.
- Exception Reports will be available soon in this Box Folder and in the guide linked above.
Funding Entry Moratorium
To facilitate the UCPath year-end funding rollover process, users should not initiate, save, submit or approve Funding Entry transactions between 6/25 – 6/26 and between 6/29 – 6/30.
Assessment Rate Changes
Composite Benefit Rate (CBR), Vacation Leave, and General Auto Employment Liability (GAEL) assessment rates will be updated for Fiscal Year 2020-2021. These rates will be published to the Finance & Business website.
As communicated in the 6/5 email from the Finance FIS Help Desk, the B1 Biweekly Pay Period ending 06/27/20 will be your last opportunity to report Work-Study working hours for 2019-2020. Visit the Fiscal Close website for important dates and reminders for processing 2019-20 Year-end Work-Study.
Direct Retro (Salary Cost Transfer) Deadline
Direct Retro transactions must be fully approved in UCPath by 5:00PM on 7/6.
Clearing Payroll Expenses in Default FAUs
Please read this document for guidelines and deadlines.
Key Actions & Dates
- Ongoing: review and correct salary and benefit expenses charged to DEFLT, SUSPN and ERROR Sub Accounts
- 6/17: Fully approve Funding Entry changes for 6/13 Bi-weekly B2 pay
- 6/24: Fully approve Funding Entry that requires the Salary Cap/MCOP Worksheet prior to the MCOP Funding Rollover process
- 6/25 - 6/26: Funding Entry Moratorium – do not enter, submit, or approve Funding Entry transactions
- 6/26: Fully approve Funding Entry prior to the UCPath Funding Rollover process
- 6/28: Fully approve Funding Entry changes for 6/30 Monthly pay
- 6/29 - 6/30: Funding Entry Moratorium – do not enter, submit, or approve Funding Entry transactions
- 7/6 5PM: Fully approve Direct Retros (Salary Cost Transfers) in UCPath in order to post to the 2019-2020 fiscal year
- Update Funding Entry as needed before the July pay confirm
- 7/15 Fully approve Funding Entry for July Bi-weekly (B2) (pay period end 7/11/20)
- 7/26 Fully approve Funding Entry for July Monthly (pay period end 7/31/20)
Other General Deadlines and Timing
- Ledger Updates: Direct Retros are posted to the ledger one to three times per week. Once the Direct Retro is fully approved, the UCPath Center will run the batch process to post it to the ledger on weeknights when there is not a payroll confirm process (e.g. on weeknights when there is no monthly, bi-weekly or off-cycle pay confirm).
- Direct Retro Timing: Cost transfers onto Federal or Federal Flow Through funds must be completed within 120 days from the pay date.
- Funding Entry Timing: To have a funding entry be in effect before payroll is processed, the Funding Entry needs to be Approved before the Pay Confirm Date on the UCPath Processing schedule available on this web page.
- KFS SET Retirement: The last day for processing Salary Expense Transfers in Kuali Financial Systems is May 29, 2020. Any SETs that are "enroute/not fully executed" after this date will be cancelled.